Sorel Liqueur-Spiced Poached Pears
with Hibiscus Ginger Reduction
Drawing inspiration from the warm, spiced flavors of the fall season, this recipe harmoniously combines the intricate flavors of Sorel Liqueur with the succulent, soft texture of poached pears. The hibiscus ginger reduction brings out the cultural authenticity of Sorel's base notes.
4 medium-sized firm pears (like Bosc or Anjou), peeled with stems intact
1 bottle (750ml) of a semi-sweet white wine (like Riesling)
½ cup of Sorel Liqueur
1 cup of water
½ cup of granulated sugar
2 hibiscus tea bags
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves
1 whole nutmeg, cracked into pieces
Zest of 1 orange
Fresh mint leaves for garnish
1. Core the pears from the bottom, ensuring the stems remain intact. This creates a cavity for better infusion of flavors.
2. In a large pot, combine the white wine, water, sugar, ginger slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, and orange zest. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the hibiscus tea bags to the pot. Let them steep for 3-4 minutes, then remove the tea bags.
4. Place the prepared pears into the pot. Ensure they are submerged in the poaching liquid. Simmer the pears for 25-30 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Turn the pears occasionally to ensure even coloration. Once tender, remove the pears from the liquid and place them on a serving plate.
5. Increase the heat under the pot and bring the poaching liquid to a boil. Reduce the liquid by half or until it thickens slightly and attains a syrupy consistency.
6. Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the Sorel Liqueur. Simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
7. Place a pear on each plate, and drizzle generously with the hibiscus ginger reduction.
Serve with a chilled glass of the same Riesling used for poaching or a sparkling wine to contrast the rich flavors with effervescence. For a non-alcoholic pairing, ginger tea or hibiscus tea would be refreshing complements.
For an extra layer of texture, you can serve these pears with a ginger cookie crumble on the side. Just crush some ginger cookies and sprinkle them around the plate or on top of the whipped cream or ice cream. This not only adds crunch but also echoes the ginger notes from the Sorel Liqueur.